Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chapters 5, 6 and 7

Chapter 5
I really like how in chapter 5 it talkes about how he was close to his master. I think it is good that since he "worked" for him that they were close to each other. I don't think that it is ok that he was not treated well b his old master. I think that the way that his old master treated him was uncalled for and not cool. What really bothered me was that they did not get fed properly. Either you were the strongest so u held the best place or you ate the fastes so you got the most, the food was not evenly shared. I really liked that he was happy to be going to Baltimore. I also really like how he sas that he is thankful to god and that he likes his new mistress.

Chapter 6
Durring chapter 6 I didn't know whether is were strange or normal for his new mistress to start off nice, but then turn into one that irresponsibly uses their power. I didn't really like how the city slaves were treated better then the other slaves. I feel like all the slaves should be treated equally and fairly. It shouldn't really matter where or who you work for they should all get the same things. No one slave should get more then the other, the should all get they same amount of things.

Chapter 7
It made me really happy when I read that he was being help to learn to read and write and even though she was told not to help she still did for a while until she understood why she could not help him. I like how he did what ever he could to lear how to read. As he tried to learn to read he was also putting the white kinds in danger of getting into trouble by having them help him read. It made me wonder though were the men really wanting to have him escape and then catch him and turn him in or if they were just saying what they thought. 

7 comments:

  1. I like how yougot into the writing and you showed how he was treated and how you point in to view how the people treated him and thats good and how the mistress was showing him how to read that was so cool and good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hope! I agree with what you wrote about chapter 5 about how his old master treated him. And what you wrote about in chapter 7 if they really wanted him to escape or if they wanted him to get caught.


    You need to learn how to be nice. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope,
    I really liked how you connected with the text and talked about a lot of details in the book. I agree with you that Frederick learning how to read made me really happy. Wonderful Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope,


    I totally agree with you in chapter 5. I liked how you put your opinion into this, it really makes me happy that your reading and asking questions and actually wanting to read this. Do you think this is something you would like to learn more about? I think you have a lot of potential to do so. Good job Hope!(:

    -Breanna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope, I agree with all of what you said about chapters 5 and 6, but not so much in capter 7. The type of work is different so what they would get would be different to depending on where they work. Not to mention do you think the slave owners on plantations really cared about being fair?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope,

    I am a little confused. It appears,in your response to chapter 6 that you agree with the institution of slavery as long as each slave is treated equal. Is that what you meant? If you were a slave, wouldn't you attempt to modify your situation in order to make your life easier? Needless to say, you might want to consider clarifying these statements in order to help the reader understand your point of view.

    Overall, I am happy to see that you are reading the novel and responding the text.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope>>>

    i like reading your blogs i think itz nice how you say you opinion on the points that stand out to you. i also liked the fact that he started to learn some things.. good job:]]

    ReplyDelete